Since our doors opened in 2006, McKinney Boyd High School has made a meaningful impact on the community and our school has made a meaningful impact on our students and graduates.
While the McKinney Boyd Broncos have only had a short span of ten years to win our awards, our achievements are extensive and accomplished.
The original McKinney Boyd High School, built in 1914, was named in honor of Mary Elizabeth Crane Boyd, wife of Captain W.L. Boyd. Today, the new McKinney Boyd High School revives that honor as well as the recognition for those who graduated from one of McKinney's first high schools.
W.L. Boyd was born and raised in Illinois. After serving in the Union Army during the Civil War, he moved to the McKinney area and opened a general merchandise business on the McKinney Square that he operated until 1882. In addition to the general merchandise store, Captain Boyd also served as one of the early stockholders in the Collin County Bank. He married Mary Elizabeth Crane in 1878.
Mary Elizabeth Boyd moved to McKinney from New York in 1876. She and Captain Boyd were married for 28 years before he passed away at their home on West Louisiana in 1906.
Mrs. Boyd dedicated her life to helping others. In 1914, when a new high school was being built in McKinney, the school district did not have enough money to furnish the facility. Mrs. Boyd donated $3,000 to the district to furnish the school prompting the school board to name the high school in her honor.
In addition to the $3,000 donation for furniture for the high school, Mary Elizabeth Boyd also left a $20,000 education fund to be used to help students attend college. Since her death in 1937, the fund has grown to more than $500,000 and provides financial assistance for students that are dedicated to furthering their education.
The original McKinney Boyd High School served as the community's high school for 45 years. In 1959, the school was condemned when the school district built a new high school, McKinney High School.
Nestled in a wooded area on 56 acres on North Lake Forest Drive, McKinney Boyd High School accommodates 3,000 students. We have 47 classrooms for math, English, social studies, science, foreign language and journalism classes as well as 14 laboratories for science, journalism and visual art classes. The school has 23 band and choir facilities as well as a band practice field. The school's athletic facilities consist of a boys' baseball field, a girls' softball field, a football practice field with a track, eight tennis courts, a competition gymnasium and a practice gymnasium as well as 14 boys' and girls' locker rooms, a weight room and a training room. In addition, our school includes a spacious cafetorium, a library, a black box theatre, administrative offices, clinics and enough parking to accommodate 1,095 automobiles.
Did you know this current website was designed and developed entirely by Boyd students? Now that's called being a Bronco.